Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Today wiped me out pretty thoroughly...talking, talking, talking all day long, class after class, giving out my policies and rules to kids most of whom I've never met, keeping my radar out for any potential problems I might face in the future with this group of kids or that, trying to remember exactly what I've said from class to class for fear of repeating myself (few things are as embarrassing as leading up to a really, really important point, complete with huge buildup, only to have four voices chirp, "You already told us that!"). My head was pretty much spinning when I left, and then I got a call from my wife telling me news of a family emergency; we just got back from the hospital. Everything's okay, but we're pretty wiped out (my wife's a high school teacher, too; she teaches art in a different district), so this posting will be kept pretty short.

I promised to address the fallacy of using international standardized test scores to compare how we stack up against other countries that allegedly have surged ahead of us educationally. It's really a no-brainer, really, for two separate and very important reasons. First, we're all sharp enough to understand that performances on tests are not truly comparable unless all of the tests are the same. Yes, you can compare the test results, but unless the tests are identical, the comparison is rendered meaningless. So in being told that Japanese high school students, for example, consistently outscore American high school students in terms of test scores, how often have you heard exactly what was being tested? We know that American test scores are based largely on ACT and/or SAT results; what are the Japanese tests? Second, you can't compare test results between two different countries when only the elite students in one country are being tested and virtually all of the students in the other are being tested. In Colorado, every high school student in the state is required to take the ACT test on the same day in April, every year. These are among the scores being generated as part of the basis for comparison with other countries--regardless of the huge range in ability levels, all scores are reported. I'm aware of no other country where this is the case. Suppose we decide to test only our elite students and compare their scores with those of other countries; who do you think is going to win that race? I'll go out on a limb here. I'll put my money on the kids from the U.S.--every time.
I'm too tired to know if I explained this as well as I'd hoped to, but I don't need numbers and statistics to understand how vacuous our "Chicken Little" concern over our standing in the international community is, given the rationale being used to generate the panic. We all need to be aware of when we're being sold a bill of goods. Many of us don't seem to be aware that standardized test scores bear relatively little significance in measuring student performance to begin with--certainly nowhere near the weight they're given by the state and federal governments today. To exaggerate their importance further by using them in comparisons with other countries (where they bear equally relative insignificance) is to add fuel to a fire that never should have been ignited to begin with.
.

5 comments:

  1. Your point is very true on an international level, as well as within the US, state to state. Here in Texas, they take TACS tests to determine whether or not they are fit to graduate. This is the only standardized testing they use, and they use it on many grade levels. I have never heard of TACS prior to moving to Texas, because Colorado does not use the TACS tests. We took some other tests that I can't remember the name of (although those wretched bubbles and #2 pencils are ingrained in my memory). There really is NO basis for comparison on any level, national or international.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main problem with the Standardized testing is all funding is tied to the test, so the schools teach for just the test and nothing else. No side tracking in History to discuss a specific point. No branching off in Lit classes to discuss finer points of a message or story.

    Ticks me off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your point's an excellent one, Eric, and no discipline suffers more than math from that teach-to-the-test syndrome. I know of some area schools that drop everything they're teaching in their math departments IN DECEMBER to teach to the Colorado state exams (CSAPS), which are not administered until MARCH!!! And it's all because--as you said--the state is holding its school districts hostage by threatening to withhold funding to schools who do not show yearly improvement in their CSAP scores. It's nothing short of ridiculous--not to mention tragic. It reminds me of the wonderful Mark Twain quote, "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a Congressman. But I repeat myself."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would think that if a schools performance was tied to money, that the funding would go to schools doing worse.

    If school 'A's students are not passing the standardized testing, then we give them x% more money per year to upgrade $needed_stuff ($books, $computers, $teachers)

    Since school 'B' is doing so well on their testing, we will keep their funding the same but look closely at their resources, teachers and techniques to see if it will work at school 'A'.

    I get so tired of "The lottery money will go to education" statements. It may go there but is it helping our teachers and students?

    If you can't tell I'm a HUGE proponent for education. In my Utopia, teachers are paid more and the politicians less(if at all).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in agreement with the Standardized testing. I do not think that there should be so much emphasis on the scores, as they do not truly represent the success of the teaching in a school/district. When I took my one semester of education classes, I did 60 observation hours in DPS, at Hill Middle School. One of the "better" schools. I was so pumped to observe here. Their website was put together well and their emphasis was on the sciences. Which is my love. So I started my observation hours (which I found tragic that I was to only observe, not get involved too much), and discovered the teachers "teaching to the test" at the beginning of the semester. And even after the CSAPs were over, they were still going over test material, but now the emphasis was on the tests they would be tested on in high school and be expected to learn in college...which was 5 years away for most students. So much emphasis on a testing system that does not have consistency for comparison.

    In my observations, I met a really phenomenal teacher who really had a great knack for grabbing the attention of about 90% of his students. He also was really willing to help all his students after hours in anything they were struggling in. The other teacher...well what I observed was a lot of yelling and not much teaching. Each class started with yelling (about 10-15 minutes of each class was "wasted" on yelling) at the students trying to calm them down and then telling them to read their chapter and get started on the experiments. Not much explanation, then frustration would arise when they had questions of what to do. Most of the students were socially and economically impoverished, but not one of them stupid. Which , this teachers motto was "you can't fix stupid." As I would walk around and assist in assignments, they responded well and discovered they were smarter than they were being told by this teacher.

    I must agree with the previous post. If you don't like children or have lost the spark for why your are an educator and your motto has become "you can't fix stupid" then it is time to move on to something that you are more passionate about.

    In all my years as a student, I would have to say that 98% of my teachers were amazing. Having taken one semester and seeing the view from the teachers eyes, this 98% have become heroes in my eyes. It's not an easy job, especially with all the political "junk" that is tied to "the system."

    ReplyDelete