Thursday, August 26, 2010

Today was my first day of the year of actual teaching--elements of fiction in Creative Writing, foundations of Greek and Roman Mythology in AP English, origins of the English Language in English IV. Lots and lots of lecturing/note-taking--partly by design, since I try to teach my senior-level courses as much like college courses as I can, but partly because I teach best by talking. So this was the first day my students were subjected to the way I teach course content, and they were wonderful. It doesn't take me long to remember every school year that the best part of my job is getting to know these fantastic students. Every year, I bid a sad goodbye to this year's senior class, thinking I can never love a group of students as much as I love this one, and three months later I start falling in love all over again. It might sound corny or contrived, but it's the absolute truth. Year after year, my students end up being some of the nicest people I'll ever meet. Yes, they can be cruel and recalcitrant and petty and inconsiderate, but you'd be amazed at how much they can be just the opposite if you just take the time to engage with them.
I know--this is hardly controversial education issues stuff. But the truth is, I spend most of my time loving my job, and spending the time today with my students just served to remind me why. All in all, a very good day.

3 comments:

  1. Students remember the effective teachers whether we liked them or not. Or, even if they were our teachers or not. Sometimes we interact with teachers outside of a classroom and we remember them from those times.

    Example - Marta Hoffman, Chemistry. I disliked her. But, I passed Chemistry. Or, Spencer Cutting, fostered my love of History so much that I now collect History texts so my daughter can see how it was taught/written from before I was born. Or, Larry Pontaski, Computer Math. I just got out of the IT field after 11 years. And you, I love to read and write. 4 months of library card use, 55 books read and 6 short stories written...no, you can't read them.

    That much time together, for any group, will make all those things you talked about happen, on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Yes, they can be cruel and recalcitrant and petty and inconsiderate, but you'd be amazed at how much they can be just the opposite if you just take the time to engage with them."

    Not so different from first graders then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is exactly what makes a great teacher, loving what you do enough to see through the less than desirable behavior and reaching the child within.

    ReplyDelete